The J/80 is the second most popular J-boat ever built, with strong fleets in Annapolis, Austin, Texas, and Seattle, as well as in Spain, Germany, and Denmark. The skipper and crew of three sail under main, roller-furling jib, and asymmetric spinnaker.
The summer of 2022 will see plenty of J/80 racing, with the regular Thursday twilight series from June-September, along with the East Coast Championship, September 10-11. Immediately following will be the North American Championship in Newport, followed by the Worlds Championship, also in Newport. See below for Web links. The local fleet is part of Fleet 12 which represents our fleet and other Massachusetts owners. We generally see seven or more boats on the starting line, including non-members.
The majority of the local fleet is dry-sailed, launching and hauling at Barden’s Boatyard, immediately adjacent to Beverly YC. You don’t have to be a Club member to race your boat, simply enter as a guest on the registration page. This enables you and your crew to enjoy top-notch racing, followed by daily awards (open to all entrants), dinner, and refreshments at the Club, payable on a cash basis. Moorings are generally available for a small fee to daysail Friday or on the weekend.
Thursday Twilight Racing
- Two series are scheduled:
- Series 1: June 2 – July 17
- Series 2: July 20 – September 4
- June to Mid-August: 6:00 PM race start time; Launch at 5:00. Generally, two races are held.
- August 18 to early September: 5:30 PM start time; Launch at 4:30. Check the NOR and SIs for exact times and race information.
Please register on the BYC Racing Page. All are invited!
- East Coast Championship, Beverly YC: Sept 10-11, 2022. No sail or boat measurement; no crew weigh-in.
- North American Championship, Newport, Rhode Island: Sept 23-25, 2022. Visit www.j80worlds2022.com for link.
- World Championship, Newport, Rhode Island: Oct. 1-8, 2022. Visit www.j80worlds2022.com to register.
- Class Website: www.J80na.org
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/j80na
Want to crew on a J/80? Contact the fleet representatives listed below. There’s always a need for eager crew who want to have fun and you don’t have to be a Club member.